Minderoo Foundation works to address disparity by advocating for policy reform, including the implementation of the Cashless Debit Card.
The Cashless Debit Card has been designed to help decrease drug and alcohol use and cut gambling rates, all of which impact on the health and wellbeing of communities, families and children.
The Cashless Debit Card works just like a regular bank card however cannot be used to purchase alcohol, drugs or gambling products. Cardholders receive 80 per cent of their welfare benefits as a credit on the card. The remaining 20 per cent is deposited into a standard bank account and is available to be withdrawn as cash.
The card works in any store that accepts EFTPOS, at approved online stores, for online banking and to pay bills.
The Cashless Debit Card strikes a balance between allowing welfare recipients to make independent purchasing decisions and helping to create safe communities.
If you wish to have the Cashless Debit Card in your community, make a request to your local member of Federal Parliament.